Merced Police video shows deadly officer-involved shooting
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- Jurors reached a mixed verdict in the trial of a teen at the center of an officer-involved shooting in Merced.
They found Kong Xiong guilty of illegally possessing a gun, but not guilty of being an active gang member.
Video recorded by a Merced Police officer's glasses shows the teen being shot in the leg back in December. The officers also accidentally shot and killed his uncle, Vang Thao.
Prosecutors say the video helped prove Xiong had a gun. But family members say it also confirms he never pointed the weapon at officers.
Xiong's relatives were very happy jurors found him not guilty of the gang charge.
Xiong's uncle, Jer Thao said, "To us it was like going through hell and coming back again, that's what it was because we had a lot of people looking down upon us. Now we know that we got a verdict, what else can anybody say."
Xiong faces a maximum of three years in prison, but he could be released on probation. His sentencing is scheduled for next month.
crimetracker, officer involved shooting, court, shooting, merced, merced county, local, sara sandrik
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville 48 min ago
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition 57 min ago
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy