Atwater Police say two shootings are related
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- North Valley police are investigating two shootings that happened within a block of each other. The two victims are in the hospital and police believe the crimes are related.
Atwater Police say the first shooting happened around 4:30 Sunday afternoon - on Secretariat near Citation. The second shooting happened just one block over - at Determine and Swap - less than an hour later.
Police say two men suffered non-life-threatening gunshot wounds. These shootings, so far, appear to have gang ties.
Neighbors say the first shooting happened outside a home on the corner of Secretariat and Citation in Atwater Sunday afternoon.
Police say when they first arrived they found a man outside who had been shot.
Sgt. Sammy joseph said, "He was treated on scene and transported to the local hospital for treatment."
Sgt. Joseph says officers began to interview witnesses in the area. About 45 minutes later - they received another call of shots fired. The second scene was just a block away.
Officers say they did not find the victim - but they found blood and other evidence on that scene. They say family members or friends drove the second shooting victim to the hospital.
Detectives believe the shootings are gang related. They say the neighborhoods typically have a high volume of police calls. What's still unclear -- the events that sparked the violence.
Atwater Police are continuing to interview witnesses as well as the victims.
Anyone with information about the shootings is asked to call Atwater Police Department.
crimetracker, merced county, atwater, merced, shooting, local, rick montanez
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 24 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children