Authorities report quiet weekend on Valley waterways
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Despite the crowds at Fresno County waterways this holiday weekend, law enforcement has some good news to report.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Boating Unit spent the entire weekend patrolling the County's busiest waterways.
While there were thousands of people out, deputies did not respond to any drownings, unlike past holiday weekends.
People visiting Pine Flat Lake Monday were under the watchful eyes of the Fresno County Sheriff's Boating Unit.
"Can I go ahead and have you get into the boat, so you don't fall over and get run over right before you load the boat?"
Two crews patrolled the nearly-six-thousand-acre area, looking for unsafe boaters.
"He's checking him to see if he's had too much to drink." And making sure everyone went home safe.
Ray Balladarez of Reedley and his friends were pulled over, while riding on a jet ski.
Ray Balladarez said, "They actually stopped us earlier because we were driving too fast around here, so we told them to stop and slow down."
At one point, deputies were asked to search for a driver who reportedly drove off the side of the road into the water.
That call turned out to be a false alarm.
Just a typical holiday weekend on Fresno County waterways. But, unlike years past, there were no reported drownings or rescues.
Deputy Brian Herman attributes that to a cooler Saturday, and low water levels on the nearby Kings River.
Deputy Brian Herman said, "With the snow levels down, we haven't had a huge release of water yet."
But that could soon change. Water releases are expected to start in June.
"They're going to have the same kind of danger and flow as they did last year; it's just not going to be for as long as last year so just do the same things as always when you're on the lakes. You know basic common sense on the waterways. If you don't know how to swim don't get in and wear your lifejackets."
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office has six teams in its boating unit. Expect them to be out all summer long.
fresno county, pine flat lake, local
- Authorities investigate a shooting in Madera County
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed