Ex-Porterville fire marshal facing child pornography charges
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- It wasn't until another firefighter took over Loran Blasdell's office that a CD belonging to Blasdell was found. On it, investigators say they found several images of young children performing sexual acts.
In a court file obtained by Action News, several sexually explicit images of children as young six years old -- were found on a disk belonging to retired Porterville fire marshal and battalion chief Loran Blasdell.
Sgt. Rick Carrillo said, "Upon viewing the disk it was determined to have contained images that were believed to be child pornography as well as other data linked directly back to Mr. Blasdell."
According to court documents, another firefighter had recently been assigned Loran Blasdell's office after Blasdell retired. On the desk he found three CDs. The firefighter told investigators there were more than 100 files of sexually explicit photos involving children on the disks and they were ultimately turned over the Porterville Police Department.
Sgt. Rick Carrillo said, "And due to any potential conflicts of interests or any questions that may be posed, our office immediately contacted an outside state agency to assume the investigation."
After a month-long investigation, the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force submitted their case to the Tulare County district attorney's office. While numerous pictures were discovered, investigators wrote specifically about four photos they were sure involved children.
Tulare County Assistant District Attorney said, "We did make the decision to file two felony counts of possession of child pornography. Both charges carry a maximum of three years in prison."
The felony complaint details the crimes were committed in November 2011 and May 2012. Blasdell pleaded "not guilty" to the charges on May 18th and bailed out of custody shortly afterwards.
Loran Blasdell will be back in court next month. If he's convicted of the charges he'll also have to register as a sex offender.
crimetracker, porterville, tulare county, tulare, visalia, local, jessica peres
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos