Ex-Porterville fire marshal facing child pornography charges
VISALIA, Calif. (KFSN) -- It wasn't until another firefighter took over Loran Blasdell's office that a CD belonging to Blasdell was found. On it, investigators say they found several images of young children performing sexual acts.
In a court file obtained by Action News, several sexually explicit images of children as young six years old -- were found on a disk belonging to retired Porterville fire marshal and battalion chief Loran Blasdell.
Sgt. Rick Carrillo said, "Upon viewing the disk it was determined to have contained images that were believed to be child pornography as well as other data linked directly back to Mr. Blasdell."
According to court documents, another firefighter had recently been assigned Loran Blasdell's office after Blasdell retired. On the desk he found three CDs. The firefighter told investigators there were more than 100 files of sexually explicit photos involving children on the disks and they were ultimately turned over the Porterville Police Department.
Sgt. Rick Carrillo said, "And due to any potential conflicts of interests or any questions that may be posed, our office immediately contacted an outside state agency to assume the investigation."
After a month-long investigation, the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force submitted their case to the Tulare County district attorney's office. While numerous pictures were discovered, investigators wrote specifically about four photos they were sure involved children.
Tulare County Assistant District Attorney said, "We did make the decision to file two felony counts of possession of child pornography. Both charges carry a maximum of three years in prison."
The felony complaint details the crimes were committed in November 2011 and May 2012. Blasdell pleaded "not guilty" to the charges on May 18th and bailed out of custody shortly afterwards.
Loran Blasdell will be back in court next month. If he's convicted of the charges he'll also have to register as a sex offender.
crimetracker, porterville, tulare county, tulare, visalia, local, jessica peres
- Patricia Perez and David Barrera found guilty of first degree murder 2 min ago
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital 30 min ago
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised 17 min ago
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water use 38 min ago
- Investigators conduct tests with FedEx truck, bus
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Gas prices rise as temperatures heat up
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos