Meet the Valley's newest Make a Wish recipient
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 12-year-old Madera Ranchos girl has become the Central Valley's newest Make a Wish recipient and now has a Mercedes to call her own.
That "Mercedes" is actually a horse... fulfilling a wish made by Sarah Hoff six months ago. Tuesday, Hoff arrived for what was supposed to be a regularly scheduled riding lesson that just so happened to be on her birthday. When she walked up and a small group of family and friends started singing "Happy Birthday," Hoff realized her wish had been granted.
Hoff was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder when she was a baby. After learning she'd been granted a wish through the Make a Wish Foundation, she immediately chose a horse as her wish. "I like it because I like animals," said Hoff.
Sarah is a shy 12-year-old... but on Mercedes, her dad says she's a different child. "She's beautiful on a horse. They're like one. She's very natural... she comes into her own," said Tim Hoff.
Sarah and Mercedes actually met each other a few months back when Sarah started taking riding lessons at Easy Does It Farms in Madera Ranchos. It turns out Mercedes' previous owner had decided to sell her and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. "This was challenge to find the perfect wish for the perfect girl. And that's what took some time. And it's a good fit," said Kelly Roehl, a volunteer with the Make a Wish Foundation.
Sarah's family members and friends were there for Tuesday's birthday lesson. Even though Sarah knew she would have her wish granted soon, her parents say there was still an element of surprise. "I think she hoped but was afraid to hope as much as this last week. She met the previous owner of Mercedes last week and said, 'I hope she's not coming to take her away!'" said Sarah's mother, Jannita Hoff.
Now, the pair will have plenty of time to make memories together. At only 12-years-old, Sarah has a Mercedes to call her own.
local, amanda perez
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream 47 min ago
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Scams can include investments with friends
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos