Two-alarm fire displaces a Northwest Fresno family
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fire fighters are cleaning up after a fire destroyed part of a home in Northwest Fresno. The fire started around 8pm on College near Portland.
When fire fighters arrived on scene they say the family had already evacuated.
Battalion Chief Casey Clark said, "They arrived to find that the family had escaped out of the house safely. It's a mom, dad and baby and teenaged son."
Neighbors say -- after the man noticed his garage was on fire -- he ran for help.
"He was like, there's a fire come help me, please," Courtney Stephens said. "And then my parents ran out of the house and then i ran out and it was just huge."
Fire fighters were able to put the flames out before the fire destroyed more of the house and spread neighboring homes. While the cause is not exactly clear -- fire fighters say if it was a result of the mechanical work, they know the home owner was at least being cautious.
"It was outside the garage, where there was good open air," Battalion Chief Casey Clark said. "But it was a very hot day, fumes stay low. So be very careful when you're working on cars and lawnmowers and things like that."
No injuries were reported -- and fire fighters say the damage estimates for this home are between $65-80 thousand dollars.
fire, fresno northwest, fresno, fresno county, local
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather