Burned Clovis house used for lesson in safety
CLOVIS, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Clovis Fire Department used one woman's survival story to keep other residents safe.
"If the occupant hadn't been alerted, the occupant could have died in this fire," said Capt. Gary Sawhill with the Clovis Fire Department.
Saturday firefighters gave neighbors a tour of the woman's home, which burned last Saturday. She was sleeping when the fire started, but a smoke detector woke her up and she managed to get out.
The woman suffered first degree burns and smoke inhalation, but fire crews say the detector saved her life. Now they're hoping others will see just how important it is to have a working smoke alarm.
Damage to the house is estimated at around $250-thousand dollars.
fire, clovis, fresno county, local
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development 19 min ago
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- City of Fresno to hire 8 people to help...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos