Father drowns after saving his son on the Kings River
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities have identified the man who drowned while saving his son from the Kings River.
Sergio Flores, 39, disappeared in the water at Winton Park in Fresno County around two o'clock Sunday afternoon.
A helicopter later spotted his body about three miles downstream from the picnic area where he entered the river.
Fresno County sheriff's deputies say Flores went into the water to help his son. The boy was able to make it to the shore, but the current pulled his father under.
The fast-moving water also made it difficult for the sheriff's boating unit to reach Flores, but deputies were eventually able to recover his body.
Sgt. Brent Stalker said, "Deputies say this is the second confirmed drowning on a Central Valley river this spring.
drowning, kings river, fresno county, local, linda mumma
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 14 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder