Details surface in a murder-suicide in Selma
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A teenage boy is still clinging to life after a murder-suicide in Selma.
As Fresno County Sheriff's Investigators piece together a family's final moments, a heartbroken community continues to stop by the home where a father of three went on a deadly rampage.
Monday morning Karri Latimer-Smith spent time at Aryan Singh's bedside at Community Regional Medical Center. She is a close family friend. "It broke my heart and my son was in ROTC with him and I was standing there with him. Come on hun, be a Marine, fight back. Just hoping that something would click and he could hear us."
Smith says a bullet struck Aryan's brain stem, causing major damage.
Action News has learned Avtar Singh was facing new criminal charges and just appeared in court last Thursday. He was answering to a hit and run charge stemming from an accident in Fowler on April 1st. And on May 1st Singh faced a judge during a probation hearing on a domestic violence charge from last year. As terms of a plea deal, Singh had to attend a 52 week batterer's class. According to court records, he was fulfilling that term.
The question many are wondering is what led to such a tragic event. Some speculate about financial trouble, or the family's immigration status. There's also the fact, Singh was wanted in India for murdering a man in 1996.
For now, the primary focus for many remains on Aryan Singh. Should he survive to face the pain of losing his whole family -- many people say they will make sure he is taken care of.
Sheriff's investigators are not revealing whether Avtar Singh left any note, before he called 9-1-1 to report he killed his family and was taking his life.
The coroner's office has still not officially identified any of the victims.
crimetracker, murder-suicide, murder, shooting, selma, fresno county, local, sontaya rose
- 700 Carstens Fire evacuees allowed home
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder
- Special Olympics torch run through Fresno County
- Summer food programs offer meals to children
- Fresno looks for cost savings after Measure G fails
- FPD seize weapons from gang members