Fresno teen killed in hit-run crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 15-year-old Fresno girl is dead following a hit and run crash. The crash happened just after 11 o'clock Sunday night on Marks and Emerson. The victim has been identified as Tiani Philpot, a freshman at Fresno High School.
The last time Tori Brewer spoke to her daughter, Tiani was just hours before she died. The 15-year-old told her mother she would be spending the night at a friend's house. Instead, she headed to her boyfriend's Northwest Fresno apartment, and was almost there before a driver hit her and took off.
"I really want this person caught because I would never leave anybody's child in the middle of the road," Brewer said. "I would never leave a child like they did mine."
Balloons, flowers and handwritten cards are now a constant reminder of the crash.
Good friend, Alize Ledesma, was one of several people who stopped by the site Monday to pay their respects. "I just can't believe it. I'm in shock. Like I still can't believe it."
According to Fresno police, Tiani was in dark clothing, walking southbound, in an area with few lights and no sidewalk. They say no one witnessed the crash, and that her body wasn't discovered until several minutes later.
Lt. Tony Bennink with Fresno Police said, "There were people who had gone through there approximately 30 minutes before and she was not there at the time, so we've got it narrowed down to 30 minutes."
Chris Scott claims he was the one who called 9-1-1, after he found Tiani's cell phone, then spotted her lying in the dirt nearby. "To see her like that, it was really traumatizing. I wish there was something I could have done to save her."
Tiani was a freshman at Fresno High School. Counselors were on site Monday to help students grieve.
Loved ones say she was popular, full of life, and wanted to be a model. Now, all they have are memories and the hope that whoever's responsible for her death will be caught soon.
Brewer said, "I wanna say whoever it is, or if anybody see who hit her, just please call anybody."
Tiani's death marks the ninth fatal accident in Fresno this year, compare to eight during the same period last year.
Friends and family plan to hold a vigil Tuesday night at 8:30.
crimetracker, hit and run, fresno police department, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local
- Man caught downloading child porn at McDonald's
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno 34 min ago
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system 24 min ago
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore
- Stand-up paddling is catching on
- FBI fatally shoots man in Boston bombing probe
- David Cameron: London attack could be terror
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos