Discarded cigarette caused a Dinuba apartment fire
DINUBA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A discarded cigarette caused an entire apartment complex to go up in smoke, leaving 70 Dinuba residents homeless.
It happened on Tuesday afternoon, six units were destroyed and another seven have extensive water and smoke damage.
Fire crews say the sprinkler system inside the complex did not go off. But it was not an issue as the fire was mainly in the attic area, where there are no sprinklers.
Most of the residents did not have renter's insurance and were forced to find a new place to live. Many spent the day trying to salvage what's left of their belongings.
Clara Renteria said, "The beds, clothes, I threw a lot of clothes of away. My grandkids lost all their things."
The Red Cross is still assisting many of those residents
dinuba, fire, local, stephanie stone
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos