Discarded cigarette caused a Dinuba apartment fire
DINUBA, Calif. (KFSN) -- A discarded cigarette caused an entire apartment complex to go up in smoke, leaving 70 Dinuba residents homeless.
It happened on Tuesday afternoon, six units were destroyed and another seven have extensive water and smoke damage.
Fire crews say the sprinkler system inside the complex did not go off. But it was not an issue as the fire was mainly in the attic area, where there are no sprinklers.
Most of the residents did not have renter's insurance and were forced to find a new place to live. Many spent the day trying to salvage what's left of their belongings.
Clara Renteria said, "The beds, clothes, I threw a lot of clothes of away. My grandkids lost all their things."
The Red Cross is still assisting many of those residents
dinuba, fire, local, stephanie stone
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns 14 min ago
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder