Sureno gang member arrested in massive weapons bust
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police say a massive weapons bust landed a gang member in jail and took more than 40 weapons off Valley streets.
Anthony Ortega, 34, a documented gang member is in jail on weapons and drug charges.
Sanger police say many of these guns are high powered weapons. Several were also loaded when police served a search warrant early Wednesday morning.
Among the other items confiscated during the search -- a jar of marijuana, a cross bow, and crystal meth.
Police say the home where the guns were taken from is where a high ranking Sureno gang member lives.
"This is unprecedented," Cpl. Jaimy Gaines said. "I don't believe we've had a bust this large in the city of Sanger. He is a well-documented gang member, we are hoping that we are taking the majority of their firearms of their streets."
Police say Ortega is also being held on attempted murder charges for a shooting in April.
crimetracker, fresno county, sanger, local, rick montanez
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'