Sureno gang member arrested in massive weapons bust
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police say a massive weapons bust landed a gang member in jail and took more than 40 weapons off Valley streets.
Anthony Ortega, 34, a documented gang member is in jail on weapons and drug charges.
Sanger police say many of these guns are high powered weapons. Several were also loaded when police served a search warrant early Wednesday morning.
Among the other items confiscated during the search -- a jar of marijuana, a cross bow, and crystal meth.
Police say the home where the guns were taken from is where a high ranking Sureno gang member lives.
"This is unprecedented," Cpl. Jaimy Gaines said. "I don't believe we've had a bust this large in the city of Sanger. He is a well-documented gang member, we are hoping that we are taking the majority of their firearms of their streets."
Police say Ortega is also being held on attempted murder charges for a shooting in April.
crimetracker, fresno county, sanger, local, rick montanez
- Malaysian official: Investigators conclude jet hijacked
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer 51 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder 53 min ago
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures 19 min ago
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt