Grasshoppers invade Madera County
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Madera County homeowners are trying to figure out how to get rid of a massive grasshopper infestation. They've taken over a neighborhood in the Ranchos area off Anaconda Road.
The bugs are turning entire gardens and landscapes into dry brush and literally gnawing through wood paneling. Researchers tell Action News they're looking for food, as extreme weather this past year dried out their vegetation. And they're likely to stay through the summer months.
John Cline said, "My wife refers to it as the birds from Alfred Hitchcock it's of biblical proportions."
The UC extension and State Ag officials are looking into the problem, which has now hit three California counties.
animal, madera county, madera ranchos, madera, local, stephanie stone
- Teacher shot at Edison High School in Fresno 4 min ago
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos