Grasshoppers invade Madera County
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Madera County homeowners are trying to figure out how to get rid of a massive grasshopper infestation. They've taken over a neighborhood in the Ranchos area off Anaconda Road.
The bugs are turning entire gardens and landscapes into dry brush and literally gnawing through wood paneling. Researchers tell Action News they're looking for food, as extreme weather this past year dried out their vegetation. And they're likely to stay through the summer months.
John Cline said, "My wife refers to it as the birds from Alfred Hitchcock it's of biblical proportions."
The UC extension and State Ag officials are looking into the problem, which has now hit three California counties.
animal, madera county, madera ranchos, madera, local, stephanie stone
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
- Accuweather Forecast
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos