Fresno man killed in his Bay Area home
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Valley man was killed in his Bay Area home this week. Now, police are searching for his killer and his family is pleading for answers.
Investigators are not releasing many details about the murder. 28-year-old Eriq Escalon was found dead in his apartment Tuesday evening. Escalon had moved to the Diamond Heights neighborhood of San Francisco in September.
Investigators have not said how he was killed, but his death has been ruled a homicide.
Escalon had been working full time in the Bay Area but he would spend two weekends a month at Salon Innovations in Clovis.
San Francisco police are not saying much about this murder. Escalon's family told Action News they have no reason to believe he would have been targeted.
"He was very special, and we were all fortunate enough to have him in our lives," said Christina Saldivar, Escalon's aunt. "And it's definitely why him... And our family definitely wants answers."
"We don't have very much information, and it's hard for us because it happened in San Francisco," Saldivar said.
Thursday, the family gathered at Escalon's mother's home in northwest Fresno.
"Yeah, it just doesn't feel real," said Sandra Espinoza, Escalon's cousin.
The family said hair was his passion. A few years ago Escalon had worked as an instructor at the Paul Mitchell School in northeast Fresno.
Even though his career took him to the Bay Area, Escalon still made time for his family and clients at Salon Innovation in Clovis.
"He was still coming back for his clients," Espinoza said. "He has faithful clients that he couldn't let go."
"He loved making people beautiful and not only that, but bringing out the beauty inside them," Estella Salcido, Escalon's boss said. "He was always positive."
Salcido owns Salon Innovation. Escalon grew up with her son and had worked at her salon for the past three years.
He had also coached color guard at Clovis West and Clovis North. Escalon graduated from Buchanan High School in 2002.
As news of Escalon's murder hit the Valley Wednesday a facebook page grew with hundreds of 'likes.'
People posted comments and pictures of a man who friends say was always smiling.
Anyone with information about Escalon's murder is asked to call San Francisco police.
The family is also looking for help to cover funeral expenses. This salon will do a cut-a-thon all day Saturday to raise money.
crimetracker, murder, bay area, fresno, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge 23 min ago
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000 51 min ago
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system
- Budget improvements for Fresno Unified
- Andy Vidak wins 16th State Senate District
- Former Bullard Star Taylor Gets Coaching Start at Kerman
- Valley students helping tornado-ravaged town of Moore
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos