Inmate attacks several in hospital escape attempt
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Fresno County inmate attacked several people at Community Regional Medical Center on Friday as he tried to escape from custody.
Fresno police tell Action News the suspect who tried to escape pepper sprayed a Fresno County correctional officer, two hospital staff members and a patient who tried to help out during the scuffle.
Authorities tell Action News the staff members and the patient were extremely helpful in getting the suspect back in custody.
The violent escape attempt happened around 4:15 Friday afternoon.
Fresno police say the suspect, 31-year-old John Ramirez asked to use the restroom and then attacked the correctional officer.
A Fresno police officer was just down the hall and ran to help.
The Fresno officer, Richard Cerrando, reportedly found the correctional officer on his back. He and two staff members and a patient had been pepper sprayed.
Fresno police say Ramirez also tried to take the correctional officer's gun.
"Had it not been for the good Samaritans - that would be the CRMC staff personnel and patient - to include the heroic actions of the officer, it's our belief that this individual would have capitalized on that and ultimately used the firearm against the correctional officer," Sgt. Paul Cervantez of the Fresno Police Department said.
No one was seriously injured in the attack. The Fresno County Sheriff's Department tells Action News the correctional officer, Frank Rangel, suffered a cut to the back of his head.
He and officer Cerrando were treated and released from the hospital.
As for the suspect, he is on parole and was out of jail on bail.
Action News has learned he has an violent criminal past. In addition to the robbery charges he was arrested for this morning police say he now faces attempted murder among several new charges.
fresno, fresno county, fresno downtown, community regional medical center, local, rick montanez
- Police investigate deadly Tower District stabbing
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
- Police: Released parole violator shot at officers
- New medical center breaks ground in Visalia
- Fresno City Council votes against planned bike lane
- Overseas lotto scams prey on elderly
- Bob Wills home threatened by development
- New bike trail underpass raises deadly crash questions
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash
- 5.7 earthquake strikes northeast of Chico
- BBQ101 at Caruthers High School
- Parlier homicide victim identified as Francisco Esquivel-Lucio
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos