Friends raise money for family of murdered hairstylist
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friends of a murdered Valley hairstylist are working to raise money for his family one haircut at a time.
28-year-old Eriq Escalon was found dead in his San Francisco home Tuesday and police are investigating his death as a homicide.
Though escalon had moved to the Bay Area the Valley native still had clients at Salon Innovation in Clovis and worked there a couple of times a month.
Saturday the salon hosted a cut-a-thon to raise money for Escalon's funeral expenses.
The owner says Escalon had clients scheduled for the next three days and staff at the salon will be honoring those appointments, with the money also going to his family.
"He took care of his mom financially and with everything supporting her in all different ways. And I'm doing what he'd do for me," Estella Salcido of Salon Innovation said.
While some cut hair to help Escalon's family, others washed vehicles at a car wash across the street.
Organizers say they're also hoping to hold other fundraisers so they can continue to help his family.
bay area, homicide, crimetracker, local
- Oregon teen accused of planning to attack school
- Tower District banding together to fight crime
- Keeping safe this Memorial Day weekend
- Motorcycle officer recovering after crash in NE Fresno
- Millerton Lake boating accident injures one person
- Senate District 16 could be headed to runoff
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Man dies in Southwest Fresno shooting
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Quick, long-term fixes in works for Washington bridge
- San Antonio flooding kills 1; 200-plus rescued