Valley law enforcement keeping waterways safe in hot weather
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Sunday was a very hot day in the Valley with temperatures reaching well into the triple digits.
The heat kept people inside and even prompted a popular Fresno attraction to close early.
Storyland-Playland in Roeding Park closed their gates and hour early this afternoon because of the intense heat. Officials say many people simply stayed home today.
Several cooling centers were open for people throughout the Valley but staff at one center in Southwest Fresno say not many showed up.
The centers will open again if the temperature reaches 105 degrees.
Well over a thousand people spent the day on Millerton Lake and the state Parks Department says even with that many people there were no major incidents.
One boy reportedly injured his ankle while jet skiing.
At Millerton Lake there are four peace officers who patrol the water and other recreational areas.
On Saturday Action News saw several people who were stopped by boating enforcement to make sure they were following safety rules.
Several warnings were handed out to boaters who were going too fast in no-wake zones, and one boater was given a ticket because the water skier he was pulling behind his boat did not have a life jacket on.
"When it comes to visiting the park, visiting the lake, safety should be a priority, which means you need to have courtesy for other boaters, other campers, other day users," Steve Barber of the State Parks Department said.
"I think it's good that they're out there making sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing," Britney Churchill of Hollister said.
One boy was taken to shore by lifeguards after he injured his ankle when he fell off a jet ski.
The temperature at Millerton Lake was over 100 degrees for much of the day, so state park officials say they watch out for people who may be fatigued after spending a lot of time in the sun.
millerton lake, fresno county, local, rick montanez
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- 7 health apps you need to know about