Police pursuit ends with crash at Fresno park
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It was a frightening night for families at a park in Central Fresno as a police pursuit came to a crashing end Saturday evening.
That chase went across Fresno and even into Clovis and began as a traffic stop on Peach and Olive in East Central Fresno.
Police say the suspect crashed into a car, injuring its driver, on Clovis and Kings Canyon in Southeast Fresno a short time later. The chase ended at Roeding Park around 8:30.
Police say 31-year-old Roberto Silguro crashed a stolen truck at Roeding Park, then took off running.
Two witnesses reportedly tackled the suspect as he ran toward their family. Highway Patrol officers then stopped Silguro with their taser.
Fresno police say Silguro will be checked out at the hospital and then taken to jail.
Investigators say Silguro, a alleged career auto thief, crashed the stolen pick up truck into this picnic area at Roeding Park Saturday night.
"The guy got crazy, he went over the grass into the bench area and he went back here behind us and he smashed into the bench and grill over there," Ruben Alvarado of Fresno said.
Ruben Alvarado was at the park with his family for a five year old's birthday party when he says they saw Silguro speed past them on the park grass.
"He was actually close to a big group over here. They all scrambled behind their cars and everything," Alvarado said.
Along with causing an injury crash in Southeast Fresno, police say Silguro also slammed into this red pickup truck.
"He's currently on parole for possession of a stolen vehicle. He's a career auto thief. He currently has a no bail warrant for auto theft, as well," Sgt. Paul Cervantes of the Fresno Police Department said.
Eddie Carbajal is one of two bystanders who say they tackled Silguro as he ran from his third and final crash.
"Thinking he was going to get away, but basically not. My father-in-law got him and I came in back and that's when we brought him down," Carbajal said.
Police say Silguro now faces new felony charges including evading arrest and hit-and-run.
No one other than Silguro was injured in the incident at Roeding Park.
As for the driver who was hit in Southeast Fresno, they were taken to Community Regional Medical Center with moderate injuries.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, auto theft, crimetracker, police chase, local, rick montanez
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
- Ex-BP engineer convicted on 1 obstruction charge
- Public tickets to the Royal Purple Las Vegas Bowl sold out
- Calif senator: Revenge porn law should include selfies
- Mega Million Winning Numbers
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos