Police pursuit ends with crash at Fresno park
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- It was a frightening night for families at a park in Central Fresno as a police pursuit came to a crashing end Saturday evening.
That chase went across Fresno and even into Clovis and began as a traffic stop on Peach and Olive in East Central Fresno.
Police say the suspect crashed into a car, injuring its driver, on Clovis and Kings Canyon in Southeast Fresno a short time later. The chase ended at Roeding Park around 8:30.
Police say 31-year-old Roberto Silguro crashed a stolen truck at Roeding Park, then took off running.
Two witnesses reportedly tackled the suspect as he ran toward their family. Highway Patrol officers then stopped Silguro with their taser.
Fresno police say Silguro will be checked out at the hospital and then taken to jail.
Investigators say Silguro, a alleged career auto thief, crashed the stolen pick up truck into this picnic area at Roeding Park Saturday night.
"The guy got crazy, he went over the grass into the bench area and he went back here behind us and he smashed into the bench and grill over there," Ruben Alvarado of Fresno said.
Ruben Alvarado was at the park with his family for a five year old's birthday party when he says they saw Silguro speed past them on the park grass.
"He was actually close to a big group over here. They all scrambled behind their cars and everything," Alvarado said.
Along with causing an injury crash in Southeast Fresno, police say Silguro also slammed into this red pickup truck.
"He's currently on parole for possession of a stolen vehicle. He's a career auto thief. He currently has a no bail warrant for auto theft, as well," Sgt. Paul Cervantes of the Fresno Police Department said.
Eddie Carbajal is one of two bystanders who say they tackled Silguro as he ran from his third and final crash.
"Thinking he was going to get away, but basically not. My father-in-law got him and I came in back and that's when we brought him down," Carbajal said.
Police say Silguro now faces new felony charges including evading arrest and hit-and-run.
No one other than Silguro was injured in the incident at Roeding Park.
As for the driver who was hit in Southeast Fresno, they were taken to Community Regional Medical Center with moderate injuries.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, auto theft, crimetracker, police chase, local, rick montanez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe