Firefighters blame illegal fireworks for house fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Firefighters believe illegal fireworks could be to blame for a fire that damaged a home's roof in Central Fresno. That fire broke out around 11 a.m. Tuesday on Fountain Way near Palm. Firefighters put it out quickly, before the home suffered major damage.
Shortly after they arrived on scene, firefighters found fireworks on the roof. Neighbors weren't surprised. "There were some neighborhood kids that were launching bottle rockets two weeks ago. The police were out here. They're aware of what's going on," said neighbor Steve Alvidrez.
Firefighters say a man inside the home smelled smoke, but when he went outside to investigate, he didnt see anything. A few minutes later the man saw flames and called a neighbor to help him put it out. That neighbor called 9-1-1 and firefighters did the rest. "It stayed above the eave. It didn't go inside the attic so we're pretty fortunate because this is a shake roof. And with the heat, this could have spread quickly and become bad for the homeowner," said Kris Townsend with the Fresno Fire Department.
The fire comes as firework stands start popping up across the city. But it's the illegal fireworks that cause the biggest concern for firefighters. The fines for having them are steep. "It ranges from a municipal code violation of $1,250 -- that goes for possession or use of illegal fireworks. I should add that taking a safe and sane firework and modifying it, that's also a violation." said Deputy Fire Marshal Don MacAlpine.
If those actually cause a house fire, you could even face a felony
fire, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires