Police pursuit ends in fatal officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Tuesday's officer-involved shooting happened just outside Central Fresno's Radio Park.
Witnesses in the area say they saw the stolen truck speeding down the street, then heard a loud noise as it crashed into a white sedan. A 61-year-old woman and her 43-year-old daughter were inside the car. The daughter had to be taken to the hospital for her injuries.
Officers had been following the truck for several miles. At one point, speeds reached 70 miles per hour. Units backed off once the driver made his way into a residential area. But, after he crashed, they moved in. Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The suspect at that point began to accelerate the vehicle. Officers positioned themselves around the car tried to extract the driver from the vehicle and at some point, there was resistance between the driver and one of the officers."
The officer shot the man once in the chest. CPR was performed, but he was pronounced dead minutes later. Investigators maintain the officer did the right thing.
Chief Jerry Dyer said, "He fired one round and it was from very close proximity, probably within four or five feet of the suspect, so at no time was the individuals in the park in danger. The danger that was posed to the public was as the result of this individual driving recklessly throughout Fresno in a stolen car and ultimately trying to get away."
officer involved shooting, shooting, crimetracker, fresno police department, local
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1 39 min ago
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos