Police pursuit ends in fatal officer-involved shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Tuesday's officer-involved shooting happened just outside Central Fresno's Radio Park.
Witnesses in the area say they saw the stolen truck speeding down the street, then heard a loud noise as it crashed into a white sedan. A 61-year-old woman and her 43-year-old daughter were inside the car. The daughter had to be taken to the hospital for her injuries.
Officers had been following the truck for several miles. At one point, speeds reached 70 miles per hour. Units backed off once the driver made his way into a residential area. But, after he crashed, they moved in. Chief Jerry Dyer said, "The suspect at that point began to accelerate the vehicle. Officers positioned themselves around the car tried to extract the driver from the vehicle and at some point, there was resistance between the driver and one of the officers."
The officer shot the man once in the chest. CPR was performed, but he was pronounced dead minutes later. Investigators maintain the officer did the right thing.
Chief Jerry Dyer said, "He fired one round and it was from very close proximity, probably within four or five feet of the suspect, so at no time was the individuals in the park in danger. The danger that was posed to the public was as the result of this individual driving recklessly throughout Fresno in a stolen car and ultimately trying to get away."
officer involved shooting, shooting, crimetracker, fresno police department, local
- Pedestrian killed in Highway 99 hit and run crash
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos