Closing arguments expected in murder-for-hire case
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Closing arguments are expected Wednesday in the trial of a Fresno man accused of hiring a "hit man" to kill his former business partner.
Daljit Singh Multani, 43, faces nine years in prison if found guilty of solicitation of murder.
He's accused of hiring Joe Yzaguirre to carry out the hit on former Fresno planning commissioner Rama Dawar.
Last year, Yzaguirre wore a police wire to record conversations with Multani about killing Dawar, but says he forgot to wear a wire to a critical meeting where Multani gave him a gun.
Several police officers were called to the stand to establish Yzaguirre's credibility as a witness. One officer told the court, he met Yzaguirre when he hired him to drive a limousine. The two quickly became friends and he offered to take him on a helicopter fly-along.
The officer said he later learned of Yzaguirre's criminal history including his prior convictions for burglary and theft. However, the prosecution believes he's a reliable source.
After closing arguments Wednesday, the jury must then determine if Yzaguirre is telling the truth.
fresno police department, crimetracker, court, fresno, fresno county, local, linda mumma
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 59 min ago
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case