Man found guilty in Merced County stalking case
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man accused of stalking a Merced County court commissioner and his wife has been found guilty on all five of the counts against him.
Keith Gallagher sat quietly in court as he heard the jury's verdict: guilty on two counts of felony stalking and three counts of misdemeanor vandalism.
Matthew Serratto said, "I think that this crime had quite a bit of effect on the victims, and I think the jury did the right thing."
The victims in this case are Merced County court commissioner Gerald Corman, and his wife Christine McFadden. Gallagher began sending threatening letters to their home last year, shortly after Corman issued a temporary order granting his ex-wife full custody of their twin boys. Gallagher also spray painted an obscene message outside the couple's home, and wrote vulgar messages in chalk outside the courthouse.
Prosecutors say it was especially frightening for McFadden, who gained national attention after her ex-husband murdered her four children in 2002. She testified in the case against Gallagher.
Serratto said, "Given her circumstances and everything she's been through she really showed a lot of bravery and was a terrific witness, one of the most& just in my couple years of doing this, probably the most powerful witness I could have ever had on a trial."
The defense attorney did not want to speak on camera, but argued during the trial that Gallagher was just exercising his right to free speech. He also told jurors Gallagher never made any physical threats. But Sheriff Mark Pazin says the 55 year old appeared to be heading in dangerous direction.
"If you're unhappy with a court decision, there's a process in place," Sheriff Pazin said. "He went above and beyond the process, and who knows what would have happened."
Gallagher is facing a maximum of four years in prison. His sentencing is scheduled for next month.
crimetracker, court, merced, merced county, local, sara sandrik
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake 10 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Gaza militants fire large rocket barrage at Israel
- 2 NYC buildings collapse, 2 dead, others missing
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- Jay Leno among TV Hall of Fame inductees