Kittens tossed out of a vehicle on Highway 99
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Highway 99 was shut down briefly Thursday morning, after a driver allegedly threw kittens out of their moving vehicle. Fortunately, one of them was saved. Her name is Freeway.
Early Thursday morning, a woman driving south along the 99 near Avenue 13 called 9-1-1 in a panic.
Officer Ronnie Lopez with the California Highway Patrol said, "The witness said that she saw a gold van ahead of her, and the driver was throwing kittens out the window."
The woman started following the van, but lost track of it. That's when she decided to pull over and retrieve the kittens. Ronnie Lopez with the California Highway Patrol was the first officer on scene.
Lopez said, "Normally when we get there, the animal is already gone, or they get scared and run off, but this one was stuck in the middle of the road, and so we were able to stop traffic and remove the animal."
Another officer arrived minutes later to help search for the three remaining kittens. But, they were nowhere to be found. "Freeway" meanwhile, was bruised, hungry, and scared.
Kirsten Gross with the Madera Animal Shelter said, "I don't know if the frustration level in people or the inhumanity in some people causes them to think that that's ok. It's not ok; it's certainly illegal and can have some dire consequences."
Fortunately, she was quickly placed in a foster home. Good news for shelter officials, who are literally bursting at the seams with cats.
On Monday, they took in 158 of them from just one property after its owner died. As of Thursday, only two of them have been adopted.
Gross said, "But, we hope to find as many as we can homes, but again, our staff is maxed out trying to care for these animals, so it's very very hard right now."
Animal officials estimate "Freeway" is about six weeks old.
As for finding the person responsible, CHP says without the license plate, it's going to be a tough case to solve.
animal, fresno, fresno county, local
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 4 min ago
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network 52 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case