Kittens tossed out of a vehicle on Highway 99
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Highway 99 was shut down briefly Thursday morning, after a driver allegedly threw kittens out of their moving vehicle. Fortunately, one of them was saved. Her name is Freeway.
Early Thursday morning, a woman driving south along the 99 near Avenue 13 called 9-1-1 in a panic.
Officer Ronnie Lopez with the California Highway Patrol said, "The witness said that she saw a gold van ahead of her, and the driver was throwing kittens out the window."
The woman started following the van, but lost track of it. That's when she decided to pull over and retrieve the kittens. Ronnie Lopez with the California Highway Patrol was the first officer on scene.
Lopez said, "Normally when we get there, the animal is already gone, or they get scared and run off, but this one was stuck in the middle of the road, and so we were able to stop traffic and remove the animal."
Another officer arrived minutes later to help search for the three remaining kittens. But, they were nowhere to be found. "Freeway" meanwhile, was bruised, hungry, and scared.
Kirsten Gross with the Madera Animal Shelter said, "I don't know if the frustration level in people or the inhumanity in some people causes them to think that that's ok. It's not ok; it's certainly illegal and can have some dire consequences."
Fortunately, she was quickly placed in a foster home. Good news for shelter officials, who are literally bursting at the seams with cats.
On Monday, they took in 158 of them from just one property after its owner died. As of Thursday, only two of them have been adopted.
Gross said, "But, we hope to find as many as we can homes, but again, our staff is maxed out trying to care for these animals, so it's very very hard right now."
Animal officials estimate "Freeway" is about six weeks old.
As for finding the person responsible, CHP says without the license plate, it's going to be a tough case to solve.
animal, fresno, fresno county, local
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party 25 min ago
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom 25 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 25 min ago
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos