Dinuba man scratched his way to a big payday
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 28-year-old Dinuba field worker is the Valley's newest millionaire after he scratched his way to $1 million in lottery winnings.
Luis Osejo bought that winning ticket Sunday at the Downtown Dinuba Market. On Monday, he drove all the way to Sacramento along with his wife, parents, and a dozen others to turn it in. He came home with new clothes, a giant check, and big plans for the future. He hopes to buy his parents a home with the winnings. "My parents, all of us grew up in the fields picking oranges. So to me, this is life changing, to get a million dollars. I'm not going to have my parents work in the fields anymore. My dad's a truck driver. He's never home," said Osejo.
Osejo said he and his wife had a hard time believing they had won, even after they had it checked twice by a store clerk.
As word spread about a local man's big win, the Downtown Dinuba Market started buzzing and people lined up to try their luck. Owner Brian Park has dozens of winning tickets are on display over the register, but he said this is a first. "It's my first million dollar winner. I'm very excited. I've never had this kind of luck before," said Park.
Park will receive a $5,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket and he believes there is more luck to go around. He plays daily and shares in his customer's dreams of winning big. "I'm proud. I'm happy for them," said Park.
As for Osejo... well, his days of buying tickets aren't over, either. "For the people out there, keep scratching. You could be the next winner," said Osejo.
Osejo and his wife were told it could be a couple of months before they get their real check. In the meantime, he said he would take some time off, hire a lawyer, and start house-shopping.
dinuba, lottery, central valley, local, amanda perez
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach 40 min ago
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Former Bell city manager gets 12 years in prison
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View'
- Strahan's 'GMA' side job confirmed with his visit
- Ultimate Warrior cause of death revealed
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman