Man struck by boat propeller in Millerton accident
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man had to be airlifted to a Fresno hospital Tuesday after a boating accident on Millerton Lake. Even after the victim was taken from the scene, investigators had a tough time finding the boat involved in the accident.
A Fresno County Sheriff's Department helicopter had to be used to locate that boat after good Samaritans brought the victim to shore. Investigators say the good Samaritans heard screaming and picked up three people, including the man who was injured. He had been struck by the boat's propeller, and suffered major injuries to his leg.
"Good Samaritans actually picked him up from out of the water. It was our understanding that due to the injury, the propeller damage to the boat made it unable for them to come to the shore," said Mark DeLeon, a California State Park ranger.
The boat involved was found about six miles away from the main boat ramp in a remote area only accessible by boat. Investigators eventually brought eight people back to the shore for questioning. The cause is still under investigation.
fresno county, millerton lake, accident, local, amanda perez
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident