Man struck by boat propeller in Millerton accident
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man had to be airlifted to a Fresno hospital Tuesday after a boating accident on Millerton Lake. Even after the victim was taken from the scene, investigators had a tough time finding the boat involved in the accident.
A Fresno County Sheriff's Department helicopter had to be used to locate that boat after good Samaritans brought the victim to shore. Investigators say the good Samaritans heard screaming and picked up three people, including the man who was injured. He had been struck by the boat's propeller, and suffered major injuries to his leg.
"Good Samaritans actually picked him up from out of the water. It was our understanding that due to the injury, the propeller damage to the boat made it unable for them to come to the shore," said Mark DeLeon, a California State Park ranger.
The boat involved was found about six miles away from the main boat ramp in a remote area only accessible by boat. Investigators eventually brought eight people back to the shore for questioning. The cause is still under investigation.
fresno county, millerton lake, accident, local, amanda perez
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- 2-year-old Fresno boy to be on America's...
3 min ago