Man struck by boat propeller in Millerton accident
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man had to be airlifted to a Fresno hospital Tuesday after a boating accident on Millerton Lake. Even after the victim was taken from the scene, investigators had a tough time finding the boat involved in the accident.
A Fresno County Sheriff's Department helicopter had to be used to locate that boat after good Samaritans brought the victim to shore. Investigators say the good Samaritans heard screaming and picked up three people, including the man who was injured. He had been struck by the boat's propeller, and suffered major injuries to his leg.
"Good Samaritans actually picked him up from out of the water. It was our understanding that due to the injury, the propeller damage to the boat made it unable for them to come to the shore," said Mark DeLeon, a California State Park ranger.
The boat involved was found about six miles away from the main boat ramp in a remote area only accessible by boat. Investigators eventually brought eight people back to the shore for questioning. The cause is still under investigation.
fresno county, millerton lake, accident, local, amanda perez
- Bloody burglary suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
- Burglars steal firefighting tools from Forest Service
- Two dead after gunfire in the town of Lindcove
- Fresno County jail inmate death labeled a homicide
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Honey oil safety class for firefighters in Fresno
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- Drought may impact farmers market prices
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Valley teens on a spring break job hunt
- Kingsburg water meters change watering habits