Man struck by boat propeller in Millerton accident
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man had to be airlifted to a Fresno hospital Tuesday after a boating accident on Millerton Lake. Even after the victim was taken from the scene, investigators had a tough time finding the boat involved in the accident.
A Fresno County Sheriff's Department helicopter had to be used to locate that boat after good Samaritans brought the victim to shore. Investigators say the good Samaritans heard screaming and picked up three people, including the man who was injured. He had been struck by the boat's propeller, and suffered major injuries to his leg.
"Good Samaritans actually picked him up from out of the water. It was our understanding that due to the injury, the propeller damage to the boat made it unable for them to come to the shore," said Mark DeLeon, a California State Park ranger.
The boat involved was found about six miles away from the main boat ramp in a remote area only accessible by boat. Investigators eventually brought eight people back to the shore for questioning. The cause is still under investigation.
fresno county, millerton lake, accident, local, amanda perez
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times