Man struck by boat propeller in Millerton accident
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man had to be airlifted to a Fresno hospital Tuesday after a boating accident on Millerton Lake. Even after the victim was taken from the scene, investigators had a tough time finding the boat involved in the accident.
A Fresno County Sheriff's Department helicopter had to be used to locate that boat after good Samaritans brought the victim to shore. Investigators say the good Samaritans heard screaming and picked up three people, including the man who was injured. He had been struck by the boat's propeller, and suffered major injuries to his leg.
"Good Samaritans actually picked him up from out of the water. It was our understanding that due to the injury, the propeller damage to the boat made it unable for them to come to the shore," said Mark DeLeon, a California State Park ranger.
The boat involved was found about six miles away from the main boat ramp in a remote area only accessible by boat. Investigators eventually brought eight people back to the shore for questioning. The cause is still under investigation.
fresno county, millerton lake, accident, local, amanda perez
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos