Sanger police release 9-1-1 tapes in OIS
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- 9-1-1 tapes are revealing new information about why Sanger Police shot and killed an unarmed man nearly two weeks ago. 46-year-old Charles Salinas died June 15, after a confrontation with Sanger Police. The 9-1-1 tapes released Wednesday show he made his intentions clear from the start.
The call is about 8 and a half minutes long and ends before Salinas' confrontation with police.
Dispatcher: "9-1-1, state your emergency."
Salinas: "I want to kill myself."
When asked why he wanted to hurt himself, Salinas told a Fresno County dispatcher it was just time for him to die.
Dispatcher: "Are you armed at all?"
Dispatcher: "What are you armed with?"
Salinas: "I have a nine millimeter."
Dispatcher: "Any other weapons?"
Salinas: "Yes, two... two knives."
Salinas told a dispatcher he was standing in front of his childhood home but said he wanted to move away from the residential neighborhood so no one else would get hurt. Salinas told the dispatcher to tell officers to shoot him and repeatedly said no one else was in danger.
Salinas: "There's no way to do it without shooting me unless I move an aggressive movement, right? An aggressive posture or something like that? I know they won't do it unless I jump towards them?"
Investigators say Salinas was first confronted in an alley and reached for his waistband twice before running away. The next time officers approached, he was in a flowerbed in front of an auto parts store. Three officers opened fire after they said he refused to follow their commands and made a quick movement. "They would have loved for him to come out and comply and do what needs to be done and get him the help he needed. But there are some people that are not going to let that happen," said Fresno County Sheriff's Department Spokesperson Chris Curtice.
Salinas hung up with the dispatcher before officers ever arrived at the scene. Her call back went to voicemail. The Fresno County Sheriff's Department is investigating the shooting. Salinas ended up being unarmed.
crimetracker, officer involved shooting, shooting, sanger, fresno county, local, amanda perez
- Authorities probe murder outside Merced apartment
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare 52 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Fresno State women win Mountain West title 45 min ago
- Car wash held to help family of murdered coach
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Mendota PD seeks arsonist after patrol car torched
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Photos: Photos of David Brenner through the years