Highway 99 to be expanded in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County is getting nearly $12 million toward a major highway construction project.
The money will be used to buy land for the Atwater-Merced expressway.
The project will expand a nearly two mile stretch of Highway 99 in the Atwater area to six lanes and will replace the existing Buhach Road interchange.
The funding from the California Transportation Commission means the expressway will also be eligible for about $50 million in construction money.
The Merced County Association of Governments will try to get approval for construction later this year.
The work could begin next spring.
merced county, local
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting
- Costco plans new store in Hanford
- Arrest made in Pinedale arson fires
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos