Highway 99 to be expanded in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County is getting nearly $12 million toward a major highway construction project.
The money will be used to buy land for the Atwater-Merced expressway.
The project will expand a nearly two mile stretch of Highway 99 in the Atwater area to six lanes and will replace the existing Buhach Road interchange.
The funding from the California Transportation Commission means the expressway will also be eligible for about $50 million in construction money.
The Merced County Association of Governments will try to get approval for construction later this year.
The work could begin next spring.
merced county, local
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom 57 min ago
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Freeze impacts one Valley farmer's tropical fruit harvest 45 min ago
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- City of Fresno hiring to help city development
- Dozens injured at partial London theater collapse
- Murders, car thefts, robberies up in Visalia other crimes down
- In-N-Out opens in Hanford
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- Police arrest escaped Merced C.O. Jail inmate
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Freeze impacts Valley tropical fruit harvest
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos