Highway 99 to be expanded in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County is getting nearly $12 million toward a major highway construction project.
The money will be used to buy land for the Atwater-Merced expressway.
The project will expand a nearly two mile stretch of Highway 99 in the Atwater area to six lanes and will replace the existing Buhach Road interchange.
The funding from the California Transportation Commission means the expressway will also be eligible for about $50 million in construction money.
The Merced County Association of Governments will try to get approval for construction later this year.
The work could begin next spring.
merced county, local
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno 41 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7 15 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Police are investigating a deadly shooting...
51 min ago