Highway 99 to be expanded in Merced County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County is getting nearly $12 million toward a major highway construction project.
The money will be used to buy land for the Atwater-Merced expressway.
The project will expand a nearly two mile stretch of Highway 99 in the Atwater area to six lanes and will replace the existing Buhach Road interchange.
The funding from the California Transportation Commission means the expressway will also be eligible for about $50 million in construction money.
The Merced County Association of Governments will try to get approval for construction later this year.
The work could begin next spring.
merced county, local
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe