Family escapes East Central Fresno apartment fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A family of six made a quick escape Friday as a fire burned in their East Central Fresno apartment.
The fire happened around 1:15 p.m. at Maple and Andrews.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to just one bedroom of the unit.
They say a mom and her five children made it out safely thanks to a smoke detector.
Smoke made its way through the entire apartment so everything inside has been destroyed.
"The fire is under investigation. Our investigator is talking to the family as well as looking through the burned bedroom looking for any clues as to the cause of this fire," Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Casey Clark said.
Two young children, 6 and 3 years old, were in the bedroom when the fire started, but the cause is still not known.
Fire officials say even though there was at least one working smoke detector they did find one with no battery.
They say this is a perfect reminder to check the smoke detectors in your own home. The Red Cross was helping the family.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, fire, local
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans Killed by Drones
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system