Family escapes East Central Fresno apartment fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A family of six made a quick escape Friday as a fire burned in their East Central Fresno apartment.
The fire happened around 1:15 p.m. at Maple and Andrews.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to just one bedroom of the unit.
They say a mom and her five children made it out safely thanks to a smoke detector.
Smoke made its way through the entire apartment so everything inside has been destroyed.
"The fire is under investigation. Our investigator is talking to the family as well as looking through the burned bedroom looking for any clues as to the cause of this fire," Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Casey Clark said.
Two young children, 6 and 3 years old, were in the bedroom when the fire started, but the cause is still not known.
Fire officials say even though there was at least one working smoke detector they did find one with no battery.
They say this is a perfect reminder to check the smoke detectors in your own home. The Red Cross was helping the family.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, fire, local
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs 58 min ago
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City 43 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to...
59 min ago