Family escapes East Central Fresno apartment fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A family of six made a quick escape Friday as a fire burned in their East Central Fresno apartment.
The fire happened around 1:15 p.m. at Maple and Andrews.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to just one bedroom of the unit.
They say a mom and her five children made it out safely thanks to a smoke detector.
Smoke made its way through the entire apartment so everything inside has been destroyed.
"The fire is under investigation. Our investigator is talking to the family as well as looking through the burned bedroom looking for any clues as to the cause of this fire," Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Casey Clark said.
Two young children, 6 and 3 years old, were in the bedroom when the fire started, but the cause is still not known.
Fire officials say even though there was at least one working smoke detector they did find one with no battery.
They say this is a perfect reminder to check the smoke detectors in your own home. The Red Cross was helping the family.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, fire, local
- Pedestrian killed in Highway 99 hit and run crash
- Massage parlor shutdown after tips of prostitution
- Trial wrapping up for ex-Clovis cop Kyle Pennington
- Man killed in rollover crash near Selma
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- Tentative order in fight over Fresno water rate hikes
- HS rumor played role in Dinuba sexual battery case
- Fresno man gets prison in fatal hit-and-run crash
- New Adopt-a-Tree Program at Two Sisters U-Pick Apricots
- New effort to honor Hmong veterans
- Counting down to the Clovis Rodeo
- Fresno Co won't change Williamson Act tax standards
- Firefighters preparing for fire season at Lost Lake Park
- Suspect injures Fresno Police dog, officers say