Family escapes East Central Fresno apartment fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A family of six made a quick escape Friday as a fire burned in their East Central Fresno apartment.
The fire happened around 1:15 p.m. at Maple and Andrews.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to just one bedroom of the unit.
They say a mom and her five children made it out safely thanks to a smoke detector.
Smoke made its way through the entire apartment so everything inside has been destroyed.
"The fire is under investigation. Our investigator is talking to the family as well as looking through the burned bedroom looking for any clues as to the cause of this fire," Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Casey Clark said.
Two young children, 6 and 3 years old, were in the bedroom when the fire started, but the cause is still not known.
Fire officials say even though there was at least one working smoke detector they did find one with no battery.
They say this is a perfect reminder to check the smoke detectors in your own home. The Red Cross was helping the family.
fresno, fresno county, fresno east central, fire, local
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police 24 min ago
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch
- Supermarket savings, getting more from your store
- "X-Men" director accused of sex abuse in lawsuit
- Three WWII vets celebrate their birthdays
- Ordnance rendered safe; Solvang evacuations lifted
- Dinuba apartment manager arrested on forgery charges
- Valley cities among those where residents feel least safe
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos