Man accused in Tulare Co crash headed to trial
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A man accused of a deadly hit-and-run that killed a South Valley one-year-old will soon go to trial.
A judge in Visalia has found enough evidence to try 21-year-old Eduardo Morales for the killing of Daniel Salazar.
Salazar's family members tell Action News the toddler would have turned two in May.
Prosecutors say an Easter Sunday tragedy left that toddler dead and a South Valley man is now headed to trial on some very serious charges.
In less than two weeks, 21-year-old Eduardo Morales will head to trial after prosecutors say he hit killed Salazar before leaving the scene.
Officer Jeremy Grove with the California Highway Patrol took the stand on Friday. He arrived at the accident scene soon after the collision and interviewed witnesses who say Morales was at an Easter celebration before the hit and run.
"They told me that he had been drinking and they believed he had been intoxicated," Grove testified.
Prosecutors say Salazar was playing on this road with other children near Avenue 80 and Road 126 in Tulare County when he died.
They say Morales, who already had a DUI conviction, was speeding and driving on a suspended license when he hit and killed the toddler.
Investigators say Morales only turned himself in 3 days later, but Morales' defense attorneys say he didn't know he hit anyone.
"I think the evidence is clear that he had no knowledge that he struck a child," defense attorney Victor Perez said.
Morales's mom and sister tell Action News the accident has also hurt their family.
Morales is charged with felony hit and run, misdemeanor manslaughter and for driving on a suspended license.
He has pleaded not guilty. His trial is scheduled to start on July 16.
tulare, tulare county, dui, crimetracker, accident, hit and run, local, mariana jacob
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 40 min ago
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Cornell president named new head of Smithsonian
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Accuweather Forecast
7 min ago
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs,...
43 min ago
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
22 min ago