Nonstop Hawaii flight takes off from Fresno airport
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The newest flight out of the Valley hit the sky on Sunday. Allegiant Air's non-stop flight to and from Hawaii started this weekend.
Airport officials are hoping the new flights will not only offer Valley residents an easier vacation flight but they anticipate bringing more tourists to the Valley.
Allegiant Air's first plane to fly from Fresno to Hawaii left on Sunday.
Maika Kellner was one of the 223 passengers taking the inaugural flight. She and her friends were excited for the convenient plane ride.
"We're a bunch of wives who are flying out to meet our husbands on port who are on training exercise with the Navy," Kellner said.
Tami Mannix is part of that group. She says this non-stop flight will free up much of her travel time.
Layovers for her not only cause travel troubles but they can be more costly.
"You have to get off the plane, reload, get food. So you're spending money there," Mannix said.
Passengers tell Action News that for two tickets they paid around a $1 thousand for their non-stop flights.
Costs of course vary based on things like fuel prices and season.
The airport tells Action News ticket prices will be competitive in hopes passengers keep the flights in the air.
"We really need the community and the region to support the service," Vikki Calderon of Fresno Yosemite International Airport said. "We need the airlines to see that there is a demand for the service, so that it remains here."
FYI has recently seen record numbers of airline passengers.
The flights to Hawaii are offered once a week. Passengers can leave Fresno on Sunday mornings and return Saturday evenings.
In addition to the non-stop flight to Hawaii, two daily flights to San Diego have recently been launched and Volaris has added and additional daily flight to Mexico for the summer.
fresno, hawaii, travel, local, rick montanez
- Marijuana was target of Fresno Co home invasion
- Kai was neither hero nor did he cause crash, witnesses say
- Jury awards $1.5 million in Fresno Police excessive force trial
- Valley growers told to brace for drought
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Toys for Tots needs just over 10k gifts to meet goal
- Tulare County opens fraud hotline
- Big Sur wildfire destroys fire chief's home
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $636 million
- 3 Fresno State Bulldogs named SI All-Americans Honorable Mentions
- Inmate escapes from Merced County Jail
- 1 dead 1 injured in Merced C.O. shooting
- Valley thieves target truck tailgates
- Valley thieves steal packages from front doors
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos