Explosion forces evacuations near Fresno State
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Three adults and four children are without a home after an explosion at a Northeast Fresno apartment complex Monday night.
The explosion happened around 9 o'clock Monday night at the Campus Chalet Apartments near Millbrook and Bulldog Lane, next door to Fresno State. When firefighters arrived, they discovered the windows of the apartment had been completely blown out. They also found a small fire in the bathroom of the back bedroom in the unit.
Fortunately, no one was home at the time, but several nearby residents were evacuated as a precaution.
"I was just doing some house cleaning around, sweeping my back patio and stuff and just heard a boom, it sounded like a firework, or M80 like that," said Paul Keith.
"Most of these are occupied, some of them are vacant, but we had to make sure that when we were doing our fire tactic operations, that everyone else is evacuated," said Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Tony Escobedo.
Investigators have not determined what caused the explosion. The apartment unit had smoke, water and fire damage. The Red Cross is assisting the residents who lost their home.
explosion, fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local, shannon handy
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions 5 min ago
- Musical mavericks make waves 56 min ago
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: 2 dead after car hits crowd at SXSW
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7