Explosion forces evacuations near Fresno State
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Three adults and four children are without a home after an explosion at a Northeast Fresno apartment complex Monday night.
The explosion happened around 9 o'clock Monday night at the Campus Chalet Apartments near Millbrook and Bulldog Lane, next door to Fresno State. When firefighters arrived, they discovered the windows of the apartment had been completely blown out. They also found a small fire in the bathroom of the back bedroom in the unit.
Fortunately, no one was home at the time, but several nearby residents were evacuated as a precaution.
"I was just doing some house cleaning around, sweeping my back patio and stuff and just heard a boom, it sounded like a firework, or M80 like that," said Paul Keith.
"Most of these are occupied, some of them are vacant, but we had to make sure that when we were doing our fire tactic operations, that everyone else is evacuated," said Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Tony Escobedo.
Investigators have not determined what caused the explosion. The apartment unit had smoke, water and fire damage. The Red Cross is assisting the residents who lost their home.
explosion, fresno northeast, fresno, fresno county, local, shannon handy
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword 39 min ago
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Sikh man who was beaten shares his story
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect...
39 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos