Upgrades for Madera County Sheriff's Fleet of Patrol cars
MADERA COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Madera County Sheriff's Fleet of Patrol cars is getting a major upgrade. On Tuesday the Sheriff's Office unveiled new cars outfitted with the latest technology. The changes took three years to complete because of a tight budget.
Lt. Mike Salvador said, "The job is inherently dangerous so safety-wise good tactics and good information always enhances safety."
At his fingertips Lt. Salvador can access a good chunk of information in real time. These cars are part of a new fleet outfitted with the latest technology. Deputies are calling the upgrade, "Version 3.0" "This is the first time we have ever had removable computers like this. It is a tablet based computer but it is a full laptop computer. I like to liken it to an iPad on steroids," said Lt. Salvador.
The eight new cards have other high-tech add-ons. A regular-looking rear view mirror doubles up as a recorder. Deputies in Madera can now also talk to other agencies on more frequencies.
The Madera County Sheriff's Office says the overhaul took about half a million dollars. Sheriff John Anderson says despite the steep price tag, the agency made the upgrades using money already in the budget. "We drove our old cars for two and three years longer and we didn't really buy any news vehicles all last year or the year before," said Sheriff Anderson.
Now deputies can file reports from the field and submit them without having to head back to headquarters.
madera county, madera, local, mariana jacob
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno 6 min ago
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe 20 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay waitress
- Avatars helping athletes
- Costly headphone disappoints
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands