New details emerge in Orange Cove OIS
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned new information about a man shot and killed by Orange Cove Police officers and what family members blame for his death.
Orange Cove Police shot and killed 48-year-old Alex Ayala Tuesday afternoon after a confrontation inside his Orange Cove home. While investigators are releasing very few details, Ayala's brother-in-law says the suspect was a diagnosed schizophrenic and Tuesday's shooting is the result of a five year battle with drug use.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting. They say a family member called Orange Cove Police to the house after Ayala started 'acting out,' with behavior that could be described as suicidal.
Jimmy Trujillo said long before Ayala's drug use began, he had served in the marines in the late 80s and early 90's and at one point even owned his own business.
But Trujillo said drugs cost Ayala his marriage, his business, and ultimately, his life. "His last actions... what happened to him. That wasn't him. I don't condone his drug use. He did use drugs. What happened to him was because of the drugs," said Trujillo.
Investigators haven't said what led up to the shooting or even confirmed if Ayala was armed. His death marks the first officer involved shooting for the Orange Cove Police Department, which was just re-established in December of 2009.
While family members are anxious to hear the results of the investigation, Trujillo is reserving judgment for now. "They have families they have to go home to in the evening. If they feel threatened, they need to take of themselves," said Trujillo.
The two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.
orange cove, fresno county, officer involved shooting, local, amanda perez
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake 29 min ago
- Malaysia widens search for missing plane
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno
- Rockets strike Israel, jeopardizing truce talk
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale
- Driver kills 2, injures 23 at SXSW festival, police say 15 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7
- Golden Gate Bridge survivor speaks at Fresno State
- Applications for US jobless aid dip to 3-month low
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
58 min ago