New details emerge in Orange Cove OIS
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Action News has learned new information about a man shot and killed by Orange Cove Police officers and what family members blame for his death.
Orange Cove Police shot and killed 48-year-old Alex Ayala Tuesday afternoon after a confrontation inside his Orange Cove home. While investigators are releasing very few details, Ayala's brother-in-law says the suspect was a diagnosed schizophrenic and Tuesday's shooting is the result of a five year battle with drug use.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting. They say a family member called Orange Cove Police to the house after Ayala started 'acting out,' with behavior that could be described as suicidal.
Jimmy Trujillo said long before Ayala's drug use began, he had served in the marines in the late 80s and early 90's and at one point even owned his own business.
But Trujillo said drugs cost Ayala his marriage, his business, and ultimately, his life. "His last actions... what happened to him. That wasn't him. I don't condone his drug use. He did use drugs. What happened to him was because of the drugs," said Trujillo.
Investigators haven't said what led up to the shooting or even confirmed if Ayala was armed. His death marks the first officer involved shooting for the Orange Cove Police Department, which was just re-established in December of 2009.
While family members are anxious to hear the results of the investigation, Trujillo is reserving judgment for now. "They have families they have to go home to in the evening. If they feel threatened, they need to take of themselves," said Trujillo.
The two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave.
orange cove, fresno county, officer involved shooting, local, amanda perez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe