Armed robbers steal thousands from Merced church fireworks stand
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- Police in the North Valley are looking for two men who robbed a firework stand outside a church. The victims say the masked men, armed with shotguns, made off with several thousand dollars in cash.
The robbery happened late Tuesday night at the Calvary Temple Church on Highway 59 near Olive in Merced. Church members say as they were closing the stand for the night, when they were forced to lay on the ground while the suspects pointed shotguns at them. The crooks grabbed anywhere between $3,000 and $5,000 and a hand full of fireworks.
The church had debated opening the stand for its final day of sales Wednesday. They decided to open since they are working to raise money for a children's church camp.
"It was me and a couple of the other guys and we were like, you know what, we need to keep doing. This is a bigger picture, we're trying to help out kids," said church volunteer Bryce Green.
"It's just evil, to be able to come to a non-profit organization and to rob people who are just trying to make a difference in the community," said Youth Pastor Nathan Allen.
No arrests have been made. The church says it has already developed a safety plan for its firework stand operation next year.
merced, merced county, robbery, crimetracker, local, rick montanez
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove 39 min ago
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno 27 min ago
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music 5 min ago
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Accuweather Forecast
24 min ago
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
10 min ago
- Pilot in makes hard landing in Madera Co...
43 min ago
- Man nearly kills two in Central Fresno...
42 min ago