Mountain climber found dead near Yosemite
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Authorities recovered the body of a missing hiker near Yosemite National Park.
Michael Ybarra, 45, was a freelance writer from the Los Angeles area who worked for the Wall Street Journal as an extreme sports correspondent.
He was said to be an experienced mountain climber. Ybarra reportedly set out by himself early Saturday for a very technical climb in the rugged Sawtooth Ridge area north of Yosemite.
Ybarra was scheduled to return by Sunday evening, but died in a fall. His body was recovered Wednesday.
yosemite national park, local
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Figure skating champ Boitano says he's gay
- New Mexico Supreme Court: Same-sex marriage legal
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Fresno State Bulldogs arrive in Las Vegas
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos