Recognition for a Chowchilla soldier
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Chowchilla soldier who was wounded in combat got a special honor this Fourth of July week.
"I probably caught more fish today more than I have in my entire life," Jonathon Gideon said. "It's been a blast, relaxing, nice."
Jonathon Gideon has seen a lot of life in his 21 years. Just last year, the Army Specialist was finishing his mission in Afghanistan, it was getting dark and then there was an explosion.
"My truck was hit with an IED," Gideon said. "I was ejected out of the top of the truck."
His friend didn't make it through. Gideon fractured his leg and ankle. A medal rod now stands where his bones should be.
Gideon pointed out, "I have my big scar right here and then two long scars on my leg on each side."
Because he's been through so much, local North Valley companies contributed to a fishing excursion on Eastman Lake.
"A day like today taking him out its nothing in comparison to what they go through for us for our freedom," Jonathan Myers said.
For Gideon, who still lives and recovers at his base in Texas, it was yet another show of support from his home town.
"Its weird for me to say and I never thought I could say that that many people cared about me," Gideon said. "It came out of nowhere so many people in my community were there to help me and my family."
He says he can't say thank you enough. Once doctors allow him to, he'll be back at home, back in the town he loves.
local, stephanie stone
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos