Fresno airport fuel spill keeps cleanup crews busy
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A fuel spill at Fresno Yosemite International Airport kept crews busy Sunday.
Airport officials say a fuel truck overturned around 7:30 Sunday morning spilling fuel onto the tarmac.
Airport officials say no flights were affected from that spill, but cleanup crews I talked to say there were some tense moments on the tarmac as they dealt with a fuel truck that leaked about 200 gallons.
Airport officials say a fuel truck overturned and left behind a oily mess. John DeCicco with Action Towing arrived on scene after Fresno fire.
"We had an overturned fuel tanker leaking fuel and the first thing we did with Fresno fire was secure the leaks and come up with a plan," DeCicco said.
That plan, he says, involved cleaning up about 200 gallons of jet-A fuel used to power airplanes off the tarmac.
"It is dangerous but jet-A is not that flammable outside the tank so Fresno Fire said we are going to go with plan a which was to roll it over full," DeCicco said.
Rolling over a truck with 5 thousand gallons of jet fuel DeCicco says was the bigger challenge. Fresno fire stood by while two tow trucks split up the job. One was used to pull up the fuel truck while another steadied its weight on another side.
"It was a little nerve racking at first because it was a fuel jet tanker but once we got it about three quarters of the way up I knew it was going to come over not a problem," DeCicco said.
There are still unanswered questions including how that fuel truck overturned and whether any airport or FAA violations occurred.
The City of Fresno says an investigation is underway and we will bring you that information as it becomes available.
fresno, fresno central, fresno county, fresno-yosemite international airport, local, mariana jacob
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 1 min ago
- El Tapatio fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos