Construction Worker Killed on HWY 99 in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The CHP is investigating a hit and run collision early this morning that killed a female construction worker on NB Highway 99 near the Clinton Avenue exit.
The CHP is investigating a hit and run collision early this morning that killed a female construction worker from Reedley on north bound Highway 99 near the Clinton Avenue exit.
The scene along Highway 99 just north of Clinton Ave. has been cleared and all lanes of the road are open in both directions.
The California Highway Patrol responded just before 2:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Two lanes of Highway 99 were closed for a construction project. Authorities say someone went into the clearly marked construction zone at a high rate of speed and hit a female construction worker who died from her injuries. The victim worked for Windsor Fuel, a contracting company helping on the construction project.
The CHP officers are still looking for the person responsible and the suspect's vehicle. "Anyone who will brazenly drive right through a very well marked closure, and then travel through it at a speed that could be 50 or 60 miles per hour. That's the kind of person that we want to hold responsible for what they did," said Sgt. Gil Peirsol with the California Highway Patrol.
The vehicle is described as a newer model Nissan Maxima or Altima sedan, silver or gray, with substantial damage to the right front and/or windshield -- including a missing right side mirror.
If you have any information regarding the vehicle or suspect, you are asked to call the Fresno Area California Highway Patrol at (559) 441-5441.
accident, fresno, fresno county, fresno central, fresno east central, local
- FS hires White as new Women's Basketball Coach
- Two killed in shooting in Lindcove
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- 4 dead, 292 missing in South Korea ferry disaster
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Police say 5 dead in Calgary stabbings
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- China's growth slows to 7.4 percent in 1Q
- Bank of America posts loss, hurt by legal expenses