Construction Worker Killed on HWY 99 in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The CHP is investigating a hit and run collision early this morning that killed a female construction worker on NB Highway 99 near the Clinton Avenue exit.
The CHP is investigating a hit and run collision early this morning that killed a female construction worker from Reedley on north bound Highway 99 near the Clinton Avenue exit.
The scene along Highway 99 just north of Clinton Ave. has been cleared and all lanes of the road are open in both directions.
The California Highway Patrol responded just before 2:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.
Two lanes of Highway 99 were closed for a construction project. Authorities say someone went into the clearly marked construction zone at a high rate of speed and hit a female construction worker who died from her injuries. The victim worked for Windsor Fuel, a contracting company helping on the construction project.
The CHP officers are still looking for the person responsible and the suspect's vehicle. "Anyone who will brazenly drive right through a very well marked closure, and then travel through it at a speed that could be 50 or 60 miles per hour. That's the kind of person that we want to hold responsible for what they did," said Sgt. Gil Peirsol with the California Highway Patrol.
The vehicle is described as a newer model Nissan Maxima or Altima sedan, silver or gray, with substantial damage to the right front and/or windshield -- including a missing right side mirror.
If you have any information regarding the vehicle or suspect, you are asked to call the Fresno Area California Highway Patrol at (559) 441-5441.
accident, fresno, fresno county, fresno central, fresno east central, local
- 3 boys missing in Dinuba 4 min ago
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Two injured in Madera drive-by shooting 15 min ago
- Foothill residents preparing for freezing temps
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon
- Toys for Tots warehouse sits empty
- Tips to protect Fido from the freeze
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Wonder Woman cast for Batman and Superman film
- Autopsy: Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Accuweather Forecast
57 min ago