Officer-involved shooting in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- At 7:30 pm two patrol officers working as part of a gang operation due to recent gang shootings in the area contacted a male and female at Fruit and Saginaw.
As officers approached, the male suspect walked away from the officers into the roadway where traffic was oncoming. The officers attempted to detain the suspect when he turned and ran.
Officers attempted to taser the suspect but it proved ineffective. The suspect continued to flee and the officers pursued on foot. The suspect then pulled a loaded handgun from his pocket. One officer fearing he would be shot fired one round striking the suspect. He fell to the ground along with the handgun.
The 32-year-old male suspect was taken to the hospital and is undergoing surgery. We're told he's an ex-parolee with a weapons history.
There have been two gang related shootings within one block of this location in the past month which is what prompted the officers to be in the area.
crimetracker, shooting, fresno police department, jerry dyer, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt