Officer-involved shooting in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- At 7:30 pm two patrol officers working as part of a gang operation due to recent gang shootings in the area contacted a male and female at Fruit and Saginaw.
As officers approached, the male suspect walked away from the officers into the roadway where traffic was oncoming. The officers attempted to detain the suspect when he turned and ran.
Officers attempted to taser the suspect but it proved ineffective. The suspect continued to flee and the officers pursued on foot. The suspect then pulled a loaded handgun from his pocket. One officer fearing he would be shot fired one round striking the suspect. He fell to the ground along with the handgun.
The 32-year-old male suspect was taken to the hospital and is undergoing surgery. We're told he's an ex-parolee with a weapons history.
There have been two gang related shootings within one block of this location in the past month which is what prompted the officers to be in the area.
crimetracker, shooting, fresno police department, jerry dyer, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos