Officer-involved shooting in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- At 7:30 pm two patrol officers working as part of a gang operation due to recent gang shootings in the area contacted a male and female at Fruit and Saginaw.
As officers approached, the male suspect walked away from the officers into the roadway where traffic was oncoming. The officers attempted to detain the suspect when he turned and ran.
Officers attempted to taser the suspect but it proved ineffective. The suspect continued to flee and the officers pursued on foot. The suspect then pulled a loaded handgun from his pocket. One officer fearing he would be shot fired one round striking the suspect. He fell to the ground along with the handgun.
The 32-year-old male suspect was taken to the hospital and is undergoing surgery. We're told he's an ex-parolee with a weapons history.
There have been two gang related shootings within one block of this location in the past month which is what prompted the officers to be in the area.
crimetracker, shooting, fresno police department, jerry dyer, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local
- Ryan Rodriquez kidnapping suspect descriptions released
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial 49 min ago
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno
- Silent Sleigh and Mandela Controversy
- '12 Years,' 'Hustle' lead Globes nominations
- US unemployment aid applications surge to 368,000
- Merced Co. District Attorney Warns of IRS Phone Scam
- Walking Dead actress admits sending ricin to Obama
- Grieving Merced husband and father talks to ABC30