Officer-involved shooting in Central Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- At 7:30 pm two patrol officers working as part of a gang operation due to recent gang shootings in the area contacted a male and female at Fruit and Saginaw.
As officers approached, the male suspect walked away from the officers into the roadway where traffic was oncoming. The officers attempted to detain the suspect when he turned and ran.
Officers attempted to taser the suspect but it proved ineffective. The suspect continued to flee and the officers pursued on foot. The suspect then pulled a loaded handgun from his pocket. One officer fearing he would be shot fired one round striking the suspect. He fell to the ground along with the handgun.
The 32-year-old male suspect was taken to the hospital and is undergoing surgery. We're told he's an ex-parolee with a weapons history.
There have been two gang related shootings within one block of this location in the past month which is what prompted the officers to be in the area.
crimetracker, shooting, fresno police department, jerry dyer, fresno, fresno central, fresno county, local
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno 43 min ago
- Searchers scour rubble after gas explosion kills 7 17 min ago
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Photos: Incredible images from Colorado car chase
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Police are investigating a deadly shooting...
53 min ago