Divers search for drowned man in Millerton Lake
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County Dive Team will continue their search Monday morning for a man who drowned in Millerton Lake. Divers spent nearly two hours Saturday night searching for the man near the lake shore.
The Fresno County Dive Team will continue their search Monday morning for a man who drowned in Millerton Lake. Divers spent nearly two hours Saturday night searching for the man near the lake shore.
State park officials say the man is in his mid-20's. They say he was swimming with family and friends in shallow water near Boat Ramp 2 on the Fresno County side of the lake.
Witnesses say around 8:30 the man swam into deeper water to get a child's sandal that floated away. The man went under the water and never resurfaced.
"People like to use this area for day use because it's a nice flat bottom. Unfortunately it has hazards. Which means 10 yards off shore it drops to at least 20 feet very quickly, and a lot of people aren't ready for that," said supervising ranger Dan Yougren.
Authorities say it does not appear the man had been drinking alcohol while out at the lake. Divers will resume the search for the man's body later this morning.
drowning, millerton lake, fresno county, local
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe