Divers search for drowned man in Millerton Lake
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno County Dive Team will continue their search Monday morning for a man who drowned in Millerton Lake. Divers spent nearly two hours Saturday night searching for the man near the lake shore.
The Fresno County Dive Team will continue their search Monday morning for a man who drowned in Millerton Lake. Divers spent nearly two hours Saturday night searching for the man near the lake shore.
State park officials say the man is in his mid-20's. They say he was swimming with family and friends in shallow water near Boat Ramp 2 on the Fresno County side of the lake.
Witnesses say around 8:30 the man swam into deeper water to get a child's sandal that floated away. The man went under the water and never resurfaced.
"People like to use this area for day use because it's a nice flat bottom. Unfortunately it has hazards. Which means 10 yards off shore it drops to at least 20 feet very quickly, and a lot of people aren't ready for that," said supervising ranger Dan Yougren.
Authorities say it does not appear the man had been drinking alcohol while out at the lake. Divers will resume the search for the man's body later this morning.
drowning, millerton lake, fresno county, local
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Suspicious bags found by Boston Marathon scene
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers 47 min ago
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport
- Photos: Tax Day deals and freebies