Amtrak train collides with vehicle in Northwest Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two people are lucky to be alive after their SUV collided with an Amtrak train.
The crash happened around 9:45 Wednesday night in Northwest Fresno near Santa Fe and Fig Garden. 98 people were on board the train, which had left from Oakland about four hours earlier.
According to investigators, the driver of a Ford Bronco tried to take a shortcut by going over the tracks. Instead, his vehicle got stuck. That's when he and his passenger got out of the car, before the train smashed into it.
None of the train passengers were injured. But, they were delayed for more than an hour.
amtrak, accident, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local, shannon handy
- Air force chief: Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Daylight saving time: Set clocks ahead 1 hour
- Paraglider rescued after crashing near Dunlap
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Plea deal for inmate accused of killing correctional officer
- Woman struck, killed by car on Hwy 180 identified
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Fresno gas theft caught on surveillance video
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals