Amtrak train collides with vehicle in Northwest Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two people are lucky to be alive after their SUV collided with an Amtrak train.
The crash happened around 9:45 Wednesday night in Northwest Fresno near Santa Fe and Fig Garden. 98 people were on board the train, which had left from Oakland about four hours earlier.
According to investigators, the driver of a Ford Bronco tried to take a shortcut by going over the tracks. Instead, his vehicle got stuck. That's when he and his passenger got out of the car, before the train smashed into it.
None of the train passengers were injured. But, they were delayed for more than an hour.
amtrak, accident, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, local, shannon handy
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather