Teen dead, multiple injuries in Merced shootings
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A teenager is dead and multiple people injured after two separate shootings overnight. Authorities have released the name of a teenager killed in an early morning shooting. Isaiha Romero, 15, of Merced died after being shot several times.
Merced officers responded to two shootings overnight.
"We need to stop this spree of crime that's happening in our communities," said Lt. Bimley West, Merced Police Department.
Around 11 pm Thursday, officers responded to an incident on the north side of town, where two groups of Asian males were arguing near the Food 4 Less.
"They said there was a guy in a Honda-type vehicle traveling west bound on Olive that shot at a guy. The next thing we know, the victim was at the hospital and had sustained a gunshot wound to the hand," Lt. West said.
Just about an hour later, the Merced Police Department responded to a second shooting this time on the 1000 block of W street.
When officers arrived they found Romero lying on the ground. Merced Police say the teenager had been shot multiple times. He later died en route to the hospital.
A witness at the scene, who did not want to be identified, recalled what happened.
"He rode up to my people up there," said the eyewitness pointing to an apartment 1053 W St. "Like he knew them and then stopped, turned back around and all you hear is the gunshots start firing and we just ran."
Eyewitnesses say bullets flew across the complex, hitting homes and even people. One young lady showed Action News an injury from a bullet narrowly grazing her shoulder.
In both cases, it appears the presence of gangs played a role in the shootings.
"When you mix gangs, drugs and alcohol together, it creates a fire in our communities that is very difficult to extinguish without the public's assistance," Lt. Bimley.
Merced police are hoping the community will help them out by calling in information about the cases. Until then, gang units and officers will continue to patrol areas to help cut down on crime.
Romero's death marks the city's fourth homicide of the year. Last year, nine people were killed in Merced.
crimetracker, shooting, merced, merced county, local, amanda venegas
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos