Millerton Lake Drowning victim remembered at Fresno State
FRESNO STATE, Calif. (KFSN) -- Friends of a Fresno State student who drowned earlier this month gathered at the university to share their memories of him. They held a candlelight vigil Sunday night, for 27-year-old Phillip Johnson, who died on July 15th at Millerton Lake.
Friends gathered near the campus library to share stories about a young man who they say was always passionate about life.
Abel Garcia came to Fresno State to join others bowing in prayer for the life of their friend Phillip Johnson. "I think Phil -- he was just a passionate loving person. He was a well rounded man and he had such a beautiful soul. He had a wonderful heart."
Ashley Chuong also has fond memories of the 27-year-old as a fun loving person. She worked with Johnson at Boomer's Family Entertainment Center where the two became good friends. "He was a very hard worker. He was funny. He could make you laugh. Like every memory I have of Phil is just a funny memory."
Those treasured memories are what friends say they'll hold onto a week after his death. Park rangers say Johnson was at Millerton Lake with his girlfriend and her family on July 15th. They say he was 25 feet off shore trying to get a child's shoe when he struggled and drowned. Alcohol is not believed to have played a part in his death.
"It's still kind of unreal right now, it's still really new and fresh," said Ashley Chuong.
Friends are still in disbelief the person they knew as a strong swimmer never resurfaced.
A spokesperson at Fresno State says Johnson was a senior at the university and was majoring in Mass Communications. They say he was only a few credits short of graduating.
His friends said he hoped to someday become a radio DJ.
millerton lake, fresno, fresno county, fresno state, drowning, local, mariana jacob
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children 24 min ago
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hours after contact drop 27 min ago
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital 21 min ago
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Man arrested for biting off infant son's nose
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- 7 health apps you need to know about