Two pot busts yards away from a Valley school
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno County authorities made two separate pot busts near a Valley Middle School. Sheriff's deputies arrested three men in connection to the illegal marijuana grows.
Authorities spent all morning taking down three foot marijuana plants -- chopping each one by hand and placing them in the back of a truck. More than 15-hundred were taken down in a field located on Gettysburg and Dickenson.
Deputies started their day at a house located on Bryan, just north of Ashlan. And what makes things even more shocking is that deputies say these pot plants were being grown right across the street from Glacier Point Middle School.
Investigators took 300 plants from the home. This is close to harvest season, meaning they had been planted during the school year and authorities believe other harvested plants may have been sold to kids before the summer break.
Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said, "However there are still students on this campus. There's still sports going on. Practice that kind of thing. So students are still present on this campus."
The school's principal happened to be on campus Wednesday, but both he and the school district declined our request for an interview. Neighbors we spoke with had no idea this was even going on. These pot busts are just the latest in a joint effort to prevent the Central Valley marijuana from being distributed locally and beyond.
DEA agent John Donnelly told Action News, "Most of the marijuana we're seeing is now being trafficked out of state. The mark up so to speak of the marijuana grown here, sold in other states east of here is pretty high so there's a lot of money to be made."
In a bizarre twist, the landlord of the bigger field on Gettysburg and Dickenson was the one who called the sheriff's office on one of the suspects.
crimetracker, drug bust, marijuana, fresno, fresno county, local, tommy tran
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight 10 min ago
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- SoCal nurse in critical condition after stabbing
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter 45 min ago
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase